Did you know? I didn’t know. I’ve never even heard of it before! It happens every year. Yes, it’s an annual event. I never knew. Did you know it happens every year on the 26th of August? Rain or shine it doesn’t matter. It’s time to celebrate!
It’s National Dog Day!
Wahoo! As if my dog isn’t spoiled enough, today is HIS day! I think peanut butter will be a part of his special day! He might even get a few milk bones as well. We could enjoy a special trip to the local dog park, but it’s still too darn hot outside.
Take a peek at this short video about National Dog Day!
National Dog Day is celebrated August 26th annually and was founded in 2004 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, Colleen Paige. On this day “we celebrate all dogs, mixed breed and pure. The mission is to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and acknowledge family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort” (You can find complete details on the National Dog Day website).
Do we need a special day?
My quick answer, “No way!” I’m guessing that if you have read this far into my post, then you are most likely a dog lover and/or parent. I don’t know about you, but I spoil my dog every single day. Hey, my son is all grown and on his own, so my doggie is my furbaby. We all know what our dog(s) enjoy the most. We may not need any suggestions. However, here are some ways to celebrate!
10 different ways to celebrate National Dog Day!
- Take your dog to the park, lake, ocean, mountains, or wherever she likes to go.
- Buy your dog a new toy you know he will like. My dog loves anything that squeaks. His mission is to kill it!
- Make your own homemade healthy dog treats for your special dog. Click here for some recipes.
- Give your dog a bath and a really good brushing and combing.
- Give him a special massage. It’s pretty easy to learn how. Check this out!
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter. Don’t support pet stores and online sellers who are often selling dogs from puppy mills.
- Quickly organize a dog party to celebrate. Invite all of your friends with dogs and have them bring treats and toys.
- Spend the day taking photos and videos of your furbaby for you to enjoy for years to come. Of course, make sure you post some on social media. Post them using #NationalDogDay.
- If your dog is like mine, take her for a car ride. The weather is too warm to take my dog outside to play, so a ride around town satisfies his desire to get out of the house.
- If you don’t have your own furbaby, go visit your elderly or disabled neighbor and offer to take their dog for a walk or run. Or, go visit your local dog shelter as they are always looking for volunteers.
Now is my chance to honor and brag about my dog, Duke. You have already met my dog on a previous post, Life Lessons From Duke. This guy means the world to me!
How are you going to celebrate and honor your dog(s) on this National Dog Day?